CLICK HERE: Information About Inspections and COVID-19

Information About Inspections and COVID-19

The City of Newcastle will continue to perform requested inspections with the following limitations:

— Do not request an inspection if any occupant or contractor is displaying any symptom of illness, is currently sick, or has been sick within the last 14 days

— Postpone inspections in an occupied home or building where the inspection is not time sensitive. This could include installations or replacements of water heaters, furnaces, fireplaces, etc.

— Remote video inspections may be conducted where social distancing or inspector safety cannot be guaranteed, the type of inspection is suitable for video inspection, and where technological barriers do not become a hindrance 

— Inspections may be canceled or postponed at the inspector’s discretion

Please note that issuance of new permits may delayed if all work will be conducted within an occupied home or building and it does not appear the safety of the inspectors can be achieved.

Planning Division

For general planning questions, please email

The Planning Division of the Community Development Department is responsible for the City's Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Code, Land Use and Development Title and other growth management plans and regulations. Amendments to these documents are prepared annually in accordance with a work program adopted by the City Council.

This division provides staff support to the City Council, Planning Commission, and the Newcastle Neighborhood Group. The department's intent on behalf of the City of Newcastle is to keep its citizens fully informed of development activities, changes to regulations, and the status of planning projects.

In addition to these goals, we strive to improve upon the quality of the built environment, protect natural areas, and promote diverse options in housing, while providing quick and accurate service, and fostering a vibrant economy.

How do I find out what my property is zoned?

Zoning is the official land use control for the City of Newcastle. It is the means for determining what uses and density are allowed on parcels throughout the City. You can view the City’s zoning map and other maps/data here. Once you know what your property is zoned, the specific regulations that apply can be found in the City’s Zoning Code here. More detailed property information can be found on the King County Parcel Viewer.

What if I want to develop my property?

Developing your property can be a complicated process. In order to help property owners and potential developers understand all the rules, regulations and costs, the City requires a pre-application conference prior to submission of any development application. More information and how to schedule the conference can be found here.

Do I need to contact the City if I want to remove a tree?

If you would like to remove a tree on your property and that tree is not located in a Native Growth Protection Easement (NGPE), a critical area, or is not part of a significant tree retention plan, then you are allowed to remove the tree without City permission. However, it is strongly recommended that you contact the City first and let us help you determine if any of the above conditions are present. 

Annual Comprehensive Plan Review and Amendment

The City of Newcastle accepts applications for its Annual Comprehensive Plan Review and Amendment process between June 1st and July 15th of every year. This is an opportunity for the public or the City to request site-specific or minor policy changes to the Comprehensive Plan. An application for a Comprehensive Plan Amendment can be found here.

If you have any questions about this process please contact us at (425) 649-4444.

City of Newcastle | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2020 Intrado Corporation.